TELKOM MOBILE – EVENT BILLING
EVENT BILLING TERMS & CONDITIONS
• The total request is restricted to a maximum amount of R 200.00 (incl. VAT) per event.
Should the service fee (excluding bearer fee) exceed R 200.00 (incl. VAT), it shall be rejected
by the system which will only process authorisation requests equal to or less than the value
of R 200.00 (incl. VAT).
• The service fee billed per transaction must be equal to the total price of the service. The
WASP will not be allowed to split the full price into various transactions with smaller
charges. Therefore, for example, a R99.99 service should be billed in one transaction at
R99.99 and not 3 transactions of R33.33 or a R20.00 per week subscription service should be
billed once per week and not billed in five daily transactions of R4.00 each.
• A WASP is required to complete a service description with a unique content name for each
application applied for via Event Billing. The content name on the content description must
be the same as applied for on the production Event Billing and must only be used for as
described within the content description. In the event of the WASP using the content name
for anything other than what was intended, then Telkom Mobile shall be entitled to
immediately suspend the service.
• The instructions for subscribing must be clear on all advertising; the customer must be made
aware that the service is a subscription service. (The advert must communicate that it’s a
subscription service). The WASP is required to adhere to the subscription service rules as
defined in the WASPA Advertising Rules published on the WASPA Portal and updated by
WASPA from time to time.
• The WASP is also required to adhere to the Telkom Mobile Adult Content Policy. Failure to
comply with the guidelines given will result in termination of the WASP agreement and may
result in prosecution by the law.
• Bearer detection is required for the Double Opt-in confirmation. This ensures that the same
bearer is used for the request and confirmation. Example: If a customer requests a
subscription service via SMS, Telkom Mobile will send the Double Opt-in confirmation via
SMS and not USSD.
• A monthly reminder SMS must be sent to all subscription service customers. This reminder
must be sent within 30 days of the initial notification message, and once per calendar month
thereafter. The customer may not be charged for these reminder messages. These
reminders are the responsibility of the WASP
These reminders are the responsibility of the WASP
The reminder SMS must have the following information:
- the WASP(Event Billing Partner);
- the content type;
- the content description;
- billing frequency; - The WASP’s (Event Billing Partner) telephone number.
• A prepaid customer must have sufficient funds in the prepaid account before the charge
request is authorized by Event Billing System. Post paid customers spend limit will need to
be checked if their status is suspended before allowing content transactions to proceed. An
error message and clear way to lift the spend limit or unsuspended the account are then
• Subscription services are managed by frequency validations (daily, weekly or monthly).
Request to Charge requests will manage these validations. Example: A daily subscription
service, the WASP requests for funds available before content is delivered, however this is at
the sole discretion of the WASP to deliver this content if funds are not available. After 24
hours the WASP is unable to charge for the previous failed transaction request. Frequency
validations are as follows:
i. Recurring Daily- (24 hours)
ii. Recurring Weekly- (7 days)
iii. Recurring Monthly- (Calendar month)
• Fund Checks will automatically be associated with the Request to Charge for any service.
Fund Checks are used to confirm if there are sufficient funds to be deducted from the
subscriber for the service that they have Double Opted in for. 1.13 The WASP authorisation
request must contain the correct service name and WASP (Event Billing Partner) ID as
configured in Telkom Mobile’s Event Billing Syste
• If there is any discrepancy, such as the incorrect spelling of the service name, the system will
not approve the authorisation request. Each service name will link to a WASP (Event Billing
• All billing authorisation requests submitted to the Event Billing System need to contain an
indicator which states the start date and time of the subscription service. If this information
is not included, the system will not approve the billing authorisation request.
• A customer can voluntarily opt out of a subscription or, otherwise, contact Telkom Mobile,
WASPA or the WASP to cancel that specific subscription service in question.
• Customers may not be automatically subscribed to a subscription service as a result of a
request for any non-subscription content or service.
• The WASP Customer Care number must be a local South African number and must not be
Premium Rated. Operator assistance must be available from 08:00 to 17:00 and thereafter
have an access mechanism available. E.g. IVR